Monday, July 17, 2006

Take This Job...

Is it just me, or does it seem to you like nobody picks up their phone anymore? I mention this because I am in day 7 of a frantic, desperate search for a segment on our show and nobody is actually picking up their phone when I call. Or calling back after I leave a message.

That never used to happen. When I'd say, "Hi, my name is Matthew XXXXX, and I work on the XXXXXX show on the XXXXX network," people were thrilled. They'd drop everything to help out the XXXXXX show, because they loved the XXXXXX show! It was only after they helped us that these folks realized what a pain in the ass we were.

Now, when I call for the NEW XXXXX show, people don't return the message. If I pester them enough to actually get them on the phone, they don't want to talk about being on the show. The realization that we're a pain in the ass seems pre-loaded into people these days.

I suppose that it could be that with the explosion of communication devices in the past ten years, people are tired of talking. They're tired of being accessible everywhere they go. They're tired of getting calls (and hearing other people get calls) in restaurants and movie theaters. They're tired of telemarketers. They just don't want to speak to anyone right now.

Or--and I need you to be with me here, folks--could it be that this is yet another unintended consequence of Paris Hilton's existence? I think so, and for that I credit Paris Hilton. That's right. I thank her. I thank Paris Hilton. I think that people see her all plastered all over their plasmas and it begins to sink in that maybe being on television isn't that much of an honor anymore. Although she's made my job much harder, in so doing she has hindered the progress of reality television. That enriches our culture, and for that I say, "Thank you, Paris. Now could you get your car off of my leg?"

Perhaps one day there will be an award named for her--an award not for excellence in the field of night vision, but for positive contribution to the arts through negative example.

An award called...the Parry!

No. Shit. That's awful. How about...The Hilty!

Crap. Paris Hilton, Hilton... Wait, I've got it! The Tony!

Whenever someone's public persona is so reprehensible and overwhelming that it shames the entire culture-at-large into positive action, it shall be rewarded. It will be known forever more as the Tony Award.

Here we go, people. It's a brave new world.