Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Dressing for Success

They say that clothes make the man.

Really? Let's look deeper at that for a second. Honestly. WHO really says this?

It would have to be the people who truly believe it. People who care about their clothes to the extent that they not only hang their own self-worth on them, but their view of other people. The vain. The snotty. By saying that clothes make the man, they can feel like their priorities are in the right order and shame you at the same time.

And, just like that, you...you...

Shit, I can't keep this up. I just hate buying clothes. Hate it. And right now I have to, because the ones I have--the ones I've had more or less since college--are falling apart at an accelerated rate. Fabric is wearing away at the creases. Seams are actually dissolving. Pretty soon, there won't be anything left. So it's time to replace...everything...and have I mentioned how much I hate buying clothes?

I've decided to look at this as an opportunity to change the way I dress. Plus, as we all know, external change equals internal change. Ergo, new clothes=new me. That's the plan, anyway.

The first step of the plan has already been put in motion. I have a new shirt and a new sweater and I wore them both with a pair of pants that is NOT jeans. You know what? They're just not me--which is exactly the point. They're horrible. I love them.

Anyway, there are several people consulting on the New Matthew rebuilding project. They've been going over designs, making suggestions. New shoes are ahead that will not be Doc Marten's, new shirts that are not plaid or plaid-like. When the whole thing is finished, it won't matter if I like the new clothes or not because they'll be the only ones I have.

Until they fall apart...